- Evaluate tradeoffs with socioeconomic considerations into decision making.
Prudent to consider this step even when the country has made the inclsuion of socioeconomics mandatory through a law or regulation.
- Focus on the inclusion and implementation processes
- Consider having a basic requirement of a standard economic review/assessment with a defined evaluation criteria
–Producers’ net income
–Smallholder net income
–Downside production/financial risk
- Critical allowing completion of biosafety risk assessment/analysis process. We have seen this as an important issue based on the Brazilian experience.
- Ensure there are no authority conflicts between regulatory agencies, In fact, prudent to maximize collaboration synergies between agencies.
- Ensure there are no conflicts with international obligations especially WTO
- Ensure that the overall goal of implementing a functional bioafety system is maintained. This involves considering implementation issues such having a transparent, feasible, fair and time/cost efficient and protective process